Sunday, March 10, 2013

Tales of a Wayside Innkeeper

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
As ancient is this hostelry
As any in the land may be,
Built in the old Colonial day,
When men lived in a grander way,
With ampler hospitality;

A kind of old Hobgoblin Hall,

Now somewhat fallen to decay,
With weather-stains upon the wall,
And stairways worn, and crazy doors,
And creaking and uneven floors,
And chimneys huge, and tiled and tall.
 
 

--Tales of a Wayside Inn
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow 1863
 
 
___________________________________________________________
 
 
I'd like to tell you a story.  Several stories, actually.  I'd like to tell you of my travels to exotic locations and tell you wild tales of daring adventures in all corners of the globe.  I'd like to regale you with descriptions of foreign foods and unusual drink under starry skies in places you have never heard of.  But, alas, I can not spin these tales for you, my friend, because I am not a world traveler, nor do I participate in exotic adventures in unknown lands.  In fact, I rarely travel at all, instead the world brings its stories to my doorstep.
 
I am an Innkeeper. 
 
Known as the third oldest profession in the history of man (preceded only by prostitution and politics), the legacy of the innkeeper is ancient and honored. (Probably because we give professions #1 and #2 a place to do business without drawing public ire.)

Ahh the people we've met and the stories I have to tell you.  But, goodness, where are my manners!  Allow me to pull a chair near the fire for you.  Set your weary feet to rest near the flames and enjoy a glass of wine.  We will let the storms rage outside, let the branches on the old pines grow heavy with snow and we will watch the flames dance as the wintry winds bluster and bully the merry blaze in the hearth before us.  Relax, my friend and settle in.  The night is young and my stories are many. 

Where would you like to start?  Stories of inebriated guests?  Tales of black bears and coyotes?  Chronicles of our ghostly encounters with people who aren't really there?  How about a simple one to start out.

'Twas a dark and stormy night, long, long ago.....

Not really.  Actually it was a Saturday afternoon in June 2011 when I found this......

 
That's a full beer.  Cold too.  There's a story here, I just don't know what it is.  Sigh.  If these old walls could talk.
 
Stay tuned - follow our blog - and I will share with you the stories of our lives as innkeepers at The Spruce Lodge in South Fork, Co.  We have many and most are quite funny.  Some make you question the future of the human race, others will make you cringe, still others will make you very, very glad you have chosen NOT to be an innkeeper. 
 
_________________________________________________________________________
 
 
Dee and Rob Plucinski are the proud owners of The Spruce Lodge in South Fork, Colorado.  Please visit our website at www.sprucelodges.com
 
In addition to great stories, we also have amazing hotel rooms, cozy cabins and a beautiful 4 room bed & breakfast listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  Fun, unique lodging in a family style atmosphere.  "Enter as strangers, Leave as friends."  That's just how we roll.
 
See our video here  :http://vimeo.com/34317852

 


3 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this!! Can't wait to read all the fabulous stories you'll tell!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am certainly in! Looks really great so far! Can't wait for the chapter on the chili dinner right before the investigation of ghostly things! LOL! (Ok, I know, better to cut that chapter! LOL) I did come to the conclusion that stomach noises make for really funny EVP's though! :0)

    ReplyDelete

About The Author

My Photo
South Fork, CO, United States
Dee and Rob Plucinski are the proud owners of The Spruce Lodge in South Fork, Colorado. Please visit our website www.sprucelodges.com